- 10-lb kettlebell
- Exercise mat
The 5 to 50 Ab Workout
- 5 V-Up Crunches: To do a V-Up, you start on your back with arms stretched out overhead and legs hovering just slightly above the ground. You’ll then crunch up, bringing your hands towards your toes (keeping legs and arms straight). When done correctly, your body will make a “v” shape as you crunch; this means you’re not just reaching your arms up, your chest needs to move towards your knees. Lower back down to starting position. If possible, your feet should never touch the ground.
- 10 Side Plank Pulls with Leg Lift (each side): Start in a side plank position on your right hand/foot, with left hand holding kettlebell on the ground in front. Row that kettlebell by pulling your left elbow to the ceiling. As you do, raise your left leg. Slowly lower both, returning to starting position. I used a 10-lb weight.
- 15 Full-Body Tuck ‘n Spreads: Sitting on the ground, lean back with hands lightly by your side for support. Legs should be lifted and outstretched. Crunch inward, bringing your knees in to meet your torso. Extend back out and then spread legs out to the side. Bring them back together and go right into your next crunch.
- 20 Alternating Superman Planks: Start in a plank position. Simultaneously lift your right hand and left leg, extending both straight out. Return to plank position and repeat, lifting left hand and right leg. This is a great core exercise because your back is engaged, too.
- 25 Plank Jumps to Jacks: Start in a plank position. Jump both feet up towards your hands. Jump them back into plank position. Jump feet apart (like a horizontal jumping jack) and then jump them back together into your starting plank position. That’s one rep.
- 30 Windshield Wipers: Lay on back, legs perpendicular to the ground and arms outstretched for support. Lower your legs to the right, twisting your hips, until they are just hovering above the ground. Lift back to starting position and over to the left side. Continue back and forth in a windshield-wiper motion.
- 35 Leg Lifts: Lay on back with hands under your butt or by your side for support. Lift legs straight up, perpendicular to the ground and then lower until they are just a couple inches off the ground. Legs should stay straight the whole time, and should never come to rest on the ground.
- 40 Side-to-Side Sneaker Taps: Start in a basic crunch position: on back, knees bent, feet flat on the ground, chest lifted off the ground. Holding that contracted crunch position, rotate side to side, tapping your left sneakers with your left hand and then your right sneaker with your right hand.
- 45-second Elbow Plank
- 50 Bicycle Crunches: Lay on back, hands behind head. When you crunch up towards your bent left knee, your right leg should be extended out and not touching the ground. Switch sides, crunching over towards the right with your left leg extended. Continue in a fluid, cycling motion.
Source: Nicole Perry of Pumps & Iron
READ MORE +